Hundreds of texts have been written about the Arthurian legends. This list represents only
a fraction of the works available from Amazon. Check back frequently as this is one
section of the Dragonlords' Bookstore that is certain to grow! If you do not see a text that
you would like to purchase, message me at Legend@malcor.com and
I'll add for you.
These folks have written several books on the Arthurian Legends. Follow the
links to their individual pages.
Additional Scholarly Texts
These works are by authors who have only published one book in the field (that
is currently in print) or by groups of authors.
King Arthur in Antiquity
- Graham Anderson considers the impact of tales of the kings of Arcadia and Lydia on the Arthurian tradition.
Ulrich von Zatzikhoven's "Lanzelet": Narrative Style and Entertainment (Arthurian Studies)
- Nicola McLelland discusses various aspects of one of the oldest stories about Lancelot.
Lanzelet: Der biographische Artusroman als Auslegungsschema dynastischer Wissensbildung (Studia humaniora)
- Ulrike Zellmann's study of Ulrich von Zatzikhoven's text.
Untersuchungen zur mythischen Struktur der mittelhochdeutschen Artusepen: Ulrich von Zatzikhoven, "Lanzelet," Hartmann von Aue, "Erec" u. "Iwein" (Philologische Studien und Quellen: Heft 91)
- Dagmar ÓRiain-Raedel presents this discussion of several important medieval Arthurian texts.
Nart Sagas from the Caucasus: Myths and Legends from the Circassians, Abazas, Abkhaz, and Ubykhs
- John Colarusso assembled, translated and annotated this collection of the Nart sagas. Among other things, he notes parallels between the Nart sagas and the Arthurian legends.
Pendragon: The Definitive Account of the Origins of Arthur
- In spite of the text's claims, this book is really just a reworking of the Welsh-origin hypothesis for Arthur.
The World of King Arthur
- Christopher Snyder's survey of the Arthurian tradition.
King Arthur: Myth-Making and History
- N. J. Higham's discussion of the evolution of the Arthurian legends and the reasons behind the popularity of the Arthurian tradition.
A Companion to Malory
- Elizabeth ARchibald and A.S.G. Edwards edited this excellent work; a must for all students of Malory!
- The Origin of the Grail Legend.
- A.C.L. Brown's classic study is currently out of print. Contact Amazon
about obtaining a copy. (Search for the title, Origin of the Grail from the form at the bottom of this page or
click through this link and search for the title via the form on Amazon's site.)
Holy Blood, Holy Grail
- Michael Baigent, Henry Lincoln, and Richard Leigh's best-selling exploration of the Grail tradition.
Spanish Language Edition
Gottfried Von Strassburg's Tristan: Journey Through the Realm of
Eros (Studies in German Literature, Linguistics, and Culture)
- Hugo Bekker's discussion of the Tristan legend.
Sir Perceval of Galles
- Mary Flowers Braswell discusses the legend of Perceval.
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight: Sources and
Analogues (Arthurian Studies, Vol 27)
- Elisabeth Brewer's discussion of the classic poem.
The Arthur of the Welsh: The Arthurian Legend in Medieval Welsh
- Rachel Bromich, A.O.H. Jarman, and Brynley F. Roberts edited this collection of studies of Arthur in Welsh Literature.
Iwain: Study of the Origin of the Arthurian Romance
- Arthur C. Brown discusses the legend of Iwain.
King Arthur's Place in Prehistory: The Great Age of Stonehenge
- W.A. Cummins takes a look at elements from prehistory that effected the Middle Ages.
Paganism in Arthurian Romance
- John Darrah's hypotheses are a little more fantasy than fact.
T.S. Eliot and Hermeneutics : Absence and Interpretation in the Waste
- Harriet Davidson discusses Eliot's poem.
The Lady of the Lake in Arthurian Legend
- Christopher Dean's close look at the character of the Dame du Lac.
Planets in Peril: A Critical Study of C.S. Lewis's Ransom Trilogy
- David C. Downing discusses C.S. Lewis's Space trilogy.
Arthur: The King in the West
- Robert W. Dunning argues for a "Cornish" King Arthur.
The Arthurian Legend in the Literatures of the Spanish Peninsula
- William James Entwistle's excellent study of the Arthurian traditions of the Spanish Peninsula.
The Mystery of the Grail: Initiation and Magic in the Quest for the Spirit
- Guido Stucco translated Evola's study of the Grail tradition.
Legend: The Arthurian Tarot
- Anna-Marie Ferguson presents the Arthurian tarot deck.
Sir Thomas Malory: An Anecdotal Bibliography of
Editions, 1485-1985 (Ams Studies in the Middle Ages, No. 10)
- Barry Gaines's discussion of the different editions of Malory's classic.
The Waste Land As Grail Romance: Eliot's Use of the Medieval Grail
Legends (Graduate Studies, No 6)
- Everett A. Gillis examines Eliot's poem.
Legend of Arthur in British and American Literature
- Jennifer R. Goodman compares the British and American versions of Arthur.
Reclamation of a Queen: Guinevere in Modern Fantasy
- Barbara Ann Gordon-Wise looks at the character of Guinevere in modern fiction.
Cei and the Arthurian Legend
- Linda Gowans discusses the character of Sir Kay (Cei).
Chretien De Troyes: Inventor of the Modern Novel
- Foster E. Guyer examines the works and life of Chretien de Troyes.
Romance in the Making: Chretien De Troyes and the Earliest French
- Foster E. Guyer discusses the relationships between Chretien's works and other romances.
King Arthur: A Military History
- Michael Holmes explores Arthur's battles, partially through historical analysis, partially through speculative reconstruction.
The Taliesin Tradition: A Quest for the Welsh Identity
- Emyr Humphrey's rather dry discussion of the Taliesin tradition.
The Anatomy of Love: The Tristan of Gottfried Von Strassburg
- William Thomas Hobdell Jackson's study of Gottfried von Strassburg's Tristan.
The Fisher King and the Handless Maiden: Understanding the
Wounded Feeling Function in Masculine and Feminine Psychology
- Robert A. Johnson discusses the Grail tradition's Fisher King and other material in this
work about the psychology of women; heavy on the Jungian interpretation.
The Grail Legend
- Emma Jung and Marie-Louise von Franz's classic work; a must-have for any Grail scholar!
The Secret Tradition in Arthurian Legend: The Archetypal Themes, Images,
and Characters of the Arthurian Cycle and Their Place in the Western Magical . . .
- Gareth Knight takes a look at the Arthurian legends using mysticism and Jungian psychology.
Gareth Knight Tarot Deck/Gk78
- The Gareth Knight edition of the standard tarot deck.
Knighthood in the Morte Darthur (Arthurian Studies, 11)
- Beverly Kennedy's discussion of Malory's particular rendition of the medieval institution
Isle of Avalon: Sacred Mysteries of Arthur and Glastonbury Tor
- Nicholas Mann's examination of the Arthurian tradition; heavy on the Celtic-origin interpretation and aimed at
a popular audience.
Arthur and Tristan: On the Intersection of Legends in German
Medieval Literature (Tristania Monographs Series ; V. 2)
- William C. McDonald's discussion of the Tristan legend.
Arthurian Romance and Modern Poetry and Music
- Renowned Arthurian scholar William A. Nitze looks at the tradition's impact on modern music and poetry.
The Fisher King
- A W.W. Norton book on the Fisher King. No other information available at this time.
The Return of King Arthur and the Nibelungen: National Myth in
Nineteenth-Century English and German Literature
- Maike Oergel's extensive study.
King Arthur's Return: Legends of the Round Table and Holy Grail Retraced
- Helena Patterson teamed with illustrator Courtney Davis for this exploration of the Arthurian legends.
About the Round Table: Kind Arthur in Art & Literature (Metropolitan
Museum of Art Publications in Print)
- This study of the relationship between the legends and the visual arts was written by Margaret R. Scherer.
T.S. Elliot's the Waste Land (Critical Studies of Key Texts)
- Gareth Reeves compiled this critical study of "The Waste Land."
Celtic Mythology: The Nature and Influence of Celtic Myth from Druidism
to Arthurian Legend
- Ward Rutherford described Celtic impact on the legends.
Culture and the King: The Social Implications of the Arthurian Legend
- Martin B. Shichtman and James P. Carley edited this collection of essays, which discuss
how various social groups have reinterpretted the Arthurian legends over the centuries.
Camelot Regained: The Arthurian Revival and Tennyson, 1800-1849
- Roger Simpson examines Tennyson's use of the Arthurian legends.
Popular Arthurian Traditions
- Sally K. Slocum edited this collection of essays by famous scholars in which they take a look at the modern impact of
the Arthurian legends.
Merlin's Daughters: Contemporary Women Writers of Fantasy
(Contributions to the Study of Science Fiction and Fantasy, No 23)
- Charlotte Spivack's study of female fantasy writers.
Celtic Myth and Legend
- Charles Squire discusses Celtic traditions, including the Arthurian legends.
Gottfried Von Strassburg and the Medieval Tristan Legend: Papers
from an Anglo-North American Symposium (Arthurian Studies, 23)
- Adrian Stevens and Roy Wisbey edited this exploration of the Tristan legend.
The Return of King Arthur : British and American Arthurian Literature
Since 1900 I.E. 1800
- This work, by Beverly Taylor and Elisabeth Brewer, contains extensive bibliography.
Tristan in the Underworld: A Study of Gottfreid Von Strassburg's
Tristan Together With the Tristan of Thomas
- Neil Thomas takes a look at two of the best known versions of the Tristan legend.
The Return from Avalon: A Study of the Arthurian Legend in Modern
- Raymond Thompson's wonderful survey of modern Arthurian fiction.
The Use of Arthurian Legend in Hollywood Film : From Connecticut
Yankees to Fisher Kings
- Rebecca A. Umland and Samuel J. Umland discuss cinematic versions of the legends.
The Real King Arthur: A History of Post-Roman Britannia A.D. 410-A.D. 593
- P.F.J. Turner's fine study of the world of post-Roman Britain and the
historical figures who may have contributed to the Arthurian tradition.
The Rise of Romance
- Eminent Arthurian scholar Eugene Vinaver discusses the romance tradition.
Merlin in German Literature: A Study of the Merlin Legend in German
Literature from Medieval Beginnings to the End of Romanticism
- Adelaide M. Weiss's study of the German version of Merlin.
The Legends of King Arthur in Art
- Muriel Whitaker looks at the Arthurian legends as they are represented in the visual arts.
Approaches to Teaching Sir Gawain and the Green
- A wonderful resource even if you don't need to teach the poem; a valuable resource if you do.
Celtic Mythology: The Nature and Influence of Celtic Myth
from Druidism to Arthurian Legend
- Ever wonder what some of the Celtic elements are in the Arthurian legends? Here's one place to find out!
T.S. Eliot's the Waste Land (Modern Critical Interpretations)
- Studies of "The Waste Land" from a variety of authors.
Make sure your visit our Medieval History section for
additional texts covering the Age of Arthur.
You can search Amazon's database directly from this box. If you find a title that you wish to purchase,
please message me and I'll add it to the Dragonlords' Bookstore so others
can enjoy it as well.
Return the Dragonlords' Bookstore
Return to the Dragonlords of Dumnonia Home